Gain a New Licensure Endorsement in Special Education with a Graduate Certificate
Do you want to gain new training so you can help students with special needs? Liberty University offers a Graduate Certificate in Special Education General Curriculum so you can learn the skills you need while gaining a special education add-on endorsement. With graduate-level courses that cover advanced special education tools and teaching methods, you can start a new career or enhance your current teaching practice.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Special Education Teachers, 2020 (viewed online June 22, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
With a short 15-credit-hour course sequence, you can add to your teaching skill set and gain an add-on endorsement for special education in as little as 1 year. You can also transfer these courses into a master’s degree such as the MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – General Education at a later time, so you can use these new skills for your career and leave the door open to a future degree. Liberty’s Graduate Certificate in Special Education General Curriculum is a practical and fast way to get the special education studies you need to help students with special needs.
Potential Career Options with a Graduate Certificate in Special Education
Our special education general curriculum certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Instructional coordinator
- K-12 curriculum developer and manager
- Special education teacher
- Teaching product developer
The skills that you gain from our certificate in special education general curriculum can be an asset in many other aspects of the education world as you pursue positions of added responsibility. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into the MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – General Education. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a special education certificate from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
Please note: Because this program is designed to fulfill licensure requirements for an add-on endorsement in special education, admission to this program requires that you hold current initial teaching licensure issued by the Virginia Department of Education in elementary education, middle grades education, or secondary education. If you hold licensure in another state, you may apply for reciprocity in Virginia.
Why Choose Liberty’s Special Education Endorsement Certificate?
Liberty’s Graduate Certificate in Special Education General Curriculum can help you prepare for a rewarding career in a field that needs qualified, effective teachers. Through this program, you will earn a teaching licensure add-on endorsement in special education curriculum while studying under professors who understand your passion and can mentor you throughout your degree.
Building on your teaching experience and previous training, you will apply your new special education knowledge to a real classroom near you with a 45-hour practicum. This hands-on experience paired with advanced special education course content will help you apply for special education add-on licensure in a faster timeframe than you could with a full degree.
Liberty’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). This accreditation means that your online education also meets rigorous standards for teacher training education. With excellent and affordable online education, Liberty’s online Graduate Certificate in Special Education General Curriculum will help you meet licensure requirements and set you up for success in your teaching career.
What Will You Learn in Our Graduate Certificate in Special Education General Curriculum?
This certificate is designed to give you a specialized and in-depth study of special education teaching practice while fulfilling add-on licensure requirements. Through this program, you will learn how to provide individualized education support and care for students with significant disabilities. You will learn to create lesson plans and provide intellectual stimulation for students with special needs while encouraging growth.
Topics covered within this program include educational behavior and development, theories and methodologies of education, current trends in the education field, and methods of teaching with classroom management. You will also learn how to make decisions about student progress, instruction, program, placement, and transitional services.
Our courses are taught from a Christian perspective by educators equipped with years of experience teaching in the field of special education. You will learn how to apply a biblical worldview to your classroom in Christian, private, public, or homeschool settings.
This certificate includes a 45-hour practicum, which will provide hands-on experience that will help you meet licensure requirements for the special education add-on endorsement.
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Educational behavior and development
- Theories and methodologies of education
- Current trends in the education field
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- EDSP 521 – Foundations of Exceptionality
- EDSP 524 – Collaborating for Successful Inclusive Classrooms
- EDSP 525 – Transition & Assessment for Exceptional Learners
- EDSP 688 – Initial Licensure Practicum in Special Education II
- EDUC 530 – Teaching Mathematics
- EDUC 554 – Reading and Language Acquisition
Highlights of Our Graduate Certificate in Special Education General Curriculum
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your special education certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- Liberty’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You can complete this certificate program in as little as 1 year.
- This graduate certificate is designed to fulfill add-on licensure requirements for special education.
Our Graduate Certificate in Special Education General Curriculum Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for this program.
- Students in this program will complete a 45-hour practicum.
- This graduate certificate program will help you gain add-on licensure for special education.
- Review state-specific state requirements.
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Certificates
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Our Online Graduate Certificate in Special Education General Curriculum
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- Proof of a current initial teaching license issued by the Virginia Department of Education in elementary education, middle grades education, or secondary education***
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.
***If you hold licensure in another state, you may apply for reciprocity in Virginia. See the admission requirements page for a list of specific endorsement areas.