Help Students with Special Needs Transition to Daily Life with Liberty’s Graduate CTE Licensure Certificate
As students with special needs complete their education, they meet new challenges in transitioning to adult life. With specialized skills in career and technical education (CTE), educators can help these students prepare to thrive as independently as possible. Liberty University’s online Graduate Certificate in CTE Transition and Special Needs can equip you to help these students and gain add-on licensure endorsement to enhance your career.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Career and Technical Education Teachers, 2020 (viewed online June 22, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
With a short 12-credit-hour course sequence, you can add to your teaching skill set and gain an add-on endorsement for special education in as little as a year. You can also transfer these courses into a master’s degree such as the MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – General Education at a later time, so you can use these new skills for your career and leave the door open to a future degree. Liberty’s Graduate Certificate in CTE Transition and Special Needs is a practical and fast way to get advanced special education training to help students with special needs.
Potential Career Options with a Graduate Certificate in CTE Transition and Special Needs
Our CTE transition and special needs certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Career and technical education teacher
- K-12 curriculum developer and manager
- Special education teacher
- Teaching product developer
The skills that you gain from our certificate in CTE transition and special needs can be an asset in many other aspects of the education world as you pursue positions of added responsibility. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into the MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – General Education. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a CTE transition and special needs certificate from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
Please note: Because this program is designed to fulfill licensure requirements for an add-on endorsement in special education, admission to this program requires that you hold current initial teaching licensure issued by the Virginia Department of Education in elementary education, middle grades education, or secondary education. If you hold licensure in another state, you may apply for reciprocity in Virginia.
Why Choose Liberty’s Graduate CTE Licensure Certificate?
Liberty’s graduate certificate in CTE can help you prepare for a rewarding career in a field desperate for qualified, effective teachers. Through this program, you will earn a teaching licensure add-on endorsement in transition and special needs while studying under professors who understand your passion and can mentor you throughout your degree.
CTE Transition and Special Needs Standards
To meet rigorous state requirements and ensure you are well-prepared for the special needs classroom, you need a way to fulfill specialized course requirements in the shortest possible timeframe. With the transition and special needs add-on endorsement, your graduate certificate in CTE will provide you with specially designed core content that aligns with the following advanced standards:
- Council of Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (InTASC) Model Core Teaching
- Virginia Department of Education for Special Education Adapted Curriculum K-12
These additional standards can help you stand out as an expert in special education teaching, and the cutting-edge skills you learn can help you become ready to meet the challenges of the field.
Building on your teaching experience and previous training, you will apply your new transition and special needs skills to a real classroom near you with a supervised practicum. This hands-on experience paired with advanced special education course content will help you apply for transition and special needs add-on licensure in a faster timeframe than completing a full degree. The add-on endorsement in Career and Technical Education (CTE) Transition and Special Needs can help you meet new standards for special education and set you apart as an expert in special needs transition methods.
Liberty’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). This accreditation means that your online education also meets rigorous standards for teacher training education. With excellent and affordable online education, Liberty’s online Graduate Certificate in CTE Transition and Special Needs will help you meet licensure requirements and set you up for success in your teaching career.
What Will You Learn in Our Graduate Certificate in Transition and Special Needs?
This certificate is designed to give you a specialized and in-depth study of special education teaching practice while fulfilling add-on licensure requirements. Through this program, you will engage in advanced studies in individualized transition planning. These courses include an investigation of the medical, social, and employment challenges for students with severe disabilities as well as the best methods to assess and prepare students for transition into daily independent living.
This certificate includes a 3-credit-hour practicum, which will provide hands-on experience that will help you meet licensure requirements for the special education add-on endorsement.
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Current trends in the special education field
- Educational behavior and development
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- Theories and methodologies of special education
- EDSP 521 – Foundations of Exceptionality
- EDSP 522 – Special Education and Disability Law
- EDSP 525 – Transition and Assessment for Exceptional Learners
- EDSP 529 – Employment, Community, and Independent Living
- EDSP 688 – Initial Licensure Practicum in Special Education II
Highlights of Our Graduate Certificate in CTE Transition and Special Needs
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online graduate certificate in CTE from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- Liberty’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You can complete this certificate program in as little as 1 year.
- This graduate certificate is designed to fulfill add-on licensure requirements for special education.
Our Graduate Certificate in CTE Transition and Special Needs Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for this program.
- Students in this program will complete a 3-credit-hour practicum.
- This graduate certificate program will help you gain add-on licensure for special education.
- Review state-specific state requirements.
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Certificates
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Our Online Graduate Certificate in Transition and Special Needs
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- Proof of a current initial teaching license issued by the Virginia Department of Education in elementary education, middle grades education, or secondary education***
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.
***If you hold licensure in another state, you may apply for reciprocity in Virginia.