Serve Your Community with an Online Bachelor’s in Social Work Degree from Liberty University
Do you want to offer hope to individuals, families, and communities — both locally and statewide? Then you may be interested in becoming a social worker with advanced training from Liberty University. Our online Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSW) degree can help you tackle critical social challenges through an understanding of human psychology. Learn to evaluate, engage with, and intervene for individuals, families, and communities. With these skills, you can help your community take a step toward healthier lives.
Our online BSW degree can help you adapt to hurting communities in a diverse world. Learn from industry professionals with real-world experience in human services. Get on-the-job experience in your community through social work field placements. Best of all, you can have all of this while fitting your education into your life with Liberty University’s flexible online learning environment.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Social Work Bachelor’s Degree?
With Liberty’s bachelor’s in social work, you can help people in your community or work with communities across the country. Our online social work degree can help provide the skills and experience you need to become a caring, effective social worker. Through this program, you will be given critical knowledge of human psychology, which is valuable in every people-focused industry.
An online BSW degree can benefit you no matter what path your career takes. You can sharpen the skills you need for a career as a social worker, preparing for future graduate studies, or for other behavioral science roles. With Liberty’s online bachelor’s degree in social work, you can earn a degree through a flexible learning environment that works for you.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Social Work Degree?
- Unlike some online social work programs, Liberty’s online BSW degree is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Improve your employment options by demonstrating your knowledge of strategic human services and relevant experience in the field.
Lay the groundwork for graduate studies that can prepare you for a career in advanced research or clinical counseling.
Complete a marketable bachelor’s degree in social work while gaining valuable, real-world experience during your field placements.
Network with your peers and professors during your social work degree program’s 5-day, on-campus intensive.
Complete our online social work bachelor’s degree coursework on your time. With our flexible online learning environment, you can access your online materials at any time.
Job Outlook for Social Workers
Social work is a high-need career field. With Liberty’s BSW program, you can become part of the solution for communities in crisis.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job outlook for social workers is projected to increase by 13% between 2019 and 2029.
And with a median salary of $51,760 per year, you can pursue a lucrative field by earning a human services bachelor’s degree online.*
Our bachelor’s in social work prepares students to seize opportunities to meet the needs of people across the country.
What Can You Do with a Social Work Degree?
Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in Social Work allows you to use your understanding of human behavior to help people heal, grow, and thrive. As a professional in the health and human services field, you can use your skills and knowledge to:
- Build effective case management systems.
- Develop support networks.
- Identify people and communities in need.
- Research and implement systems to serve client needs.
- Respond to critical care needs such as abuse or mental health emergencies.
While earning your BSW degree online, you can gain abundant knowledge and expertise that are integral to success in the field of social work. But taking social work classes online doesn’t mean that you won’t get hands-on experience. Liberty’s online social work degree blends real-world training and an on-campus intensive to help you prepare for the field with confidence.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational outlook handbook: Social workers (viewed online June 14, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work?
Through Liberty’s online social work classes, you’ll receive specialized training in assessments, intervention strategies, and counseling techniques. These skills can help prepare you to practice as a human services professional in diverse communities. As a social worker, you can be empowered to help families and individuals make positive life changes, no matter their background. Partner with Liberty to gain the knowledge you need for a rewarding career or future graduate study.
Featured Social Work Courses
- SOWK 300 – Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- SOWK 350 – Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families
- SOWK 355 – Social Work Practice with Groups*
- SOWK 439 – International Social Work Field Experience*
*Course guide is not currently available
Highlights of Our Online Social Work Bachelor’s Degree
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Our social work degree has been accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Learn field-tested techniques for addressing human services issues in your community.
- Complete field placements in your area that allow you to learn under practicing agents and gain real-world experience.
Online Social Work Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- View the online B.S. in Social Work Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- Our online BSW degree requires one 3-credit-hour on-campus intensive and 4 to 11 credit-hour field placements.
- Upon declaring this major, students will pursue the Gate process to gain approval into the program. Please see the Social Work Gates page for more information.
- Visit the Online Field Experience page for more information about the 2 social work field placements.
- Please review our CSWE program evaluation for more information.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- College credit for military training
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with an Online Social Work Degree
Here are some careers you can prepare for by earning an online human services degree:
- Addictions and mental health specialist
- Adoptions clinician
- Child welfare worker
- Human services leader
- Medical social worker
- School social worker
Our online social work degree provides you with specialized training and experience that can help equip you to become a social worker. The knowledge and practical skill sets you’ll gain can also meet a critical demand for human services expertise in many industries.
Your skills and hands-on experience with a degree in human services can lead to various career opportunities. Research, criminal justice, education, government, and other important management roles all require advanced training. Our online BSW degree can help prepare you to fill the increasing needs in the private, public, and nonprofit markets. With people-focused understanding, you can be a valuable human services asset.
Admission Requirements for Our Online B.S. in Social Work Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.